Decision fatigue is the decline in the quality of decisions made by an individual following a prolonged period of decision-making. Put simply, the more decisions a person must make in a specific timeframe, the greater the likelihood of a decrease in their capacity to make thoughtful and effective choices.
This can result in impulsive or less-than-ideal decisions due to the depletion of mental resources. This phenomenon is especially relevant in scenarios where an individual encounters a substantial number of choices or significant decisions over an extended duration.
So if you are suffering from decision fatigue, here are our seven steps to help you overcome it:
1. Prioritise and Plan Ahead: Start your day by identifying and prioritising the most important decisions you need to make. Tackle critical tasks when your mind is fresh and alert.
2. Establish Routines: Create structured routines for daily activities like meals, exercise, and self-care. Routines reduce the number of decisions you need to make, freeing up mental energy for more important choices.
3. Limit Trivial Choices: Minimise unnecessary decisions by simplifying routine choices. For instance, adopt a standard work attire or meal plan to reduce decision-making in those areas.
4. Set Time Limits for Decisions: Allocate specific time slots for decision-making sessions. This prevents overthinking and ensures that you're making choices efficiently.
5. Utilize Decision-Making Frameworks: Implement decision-making frameworks or templates to guide your thought process. These structured approaches help you evaluate options and arrive at a conclusion more effectively.
6. Delegate When Possible: Delegate decision-making authority for tasks or choices that can be handled by others. Trusting colleagues or team members to make certain decisions can alleviate some of the cognitive load.
7. Take Regular Breaks and Rest: Schedule breaks throughout your day to recharge and refresh your mind. Even short breaks can help improve focus and decision-making ability.
By following these steps, you can effectively manage decision fatigue and optimise your cognitive resources for more impactful and meaningful choices. Remember, it's essential to be proactive in mitigating decision fatigue to maintain productivity and well-being.
Need help filling a finance or accountancy job?
At Venture Recruitment Partners, we’re known for delivering a professional, personable service to leading businesses across the South of England. We understand the finance and accountancy industry inside-out, and we’ve built a successful recruitment agency that truly makes a difference.
We can recruit for your full-time, part-time, interim, permanent, or temporary roles across the finance and accountancy sector. This includes entry-level positions, newly qualified, part-qualified, and all management positions.
Please click below to submit a job role. Or give us a call to chat things through.
Get in touch
Tel:02380 119 820
We’re ready to discuss your requirements in detail and give you all the advice you need.